Monday, July 18, 2016

Race, PTSD and Urban Violence

"From elementary school through middle school, I can't remember how many times the White kids asked if they could touch my hair. I'm not kidding when I say it happened pretty much once a week at least. At first, it didn't bother me. But eventually I felt like an exhibit in a petting zoo. And I didn't have the vocabulary to explain to them that it was really weird that they kept asking to touch my hair all the time. See, I was a pretty shy kid. I was the only Black one, I was overweight, and I'd moved three times before I turned 10. So, rather than tell the White kids that no, they couldn't rummage through my hair, I just said yes and sat there quietly while they marveled at how my hair felt.", says Brian Crooks on his Chicago Tribune's essay "What it's like to be black in Naperville, America".
And he continues, "I've never had a Black boss. I played football from middle school through senior year of high school and only had one Black coach in that whole time. Not just head coaches, I'm talking about assistants and position coaches. I've had two Black teachers in my entire life. One was for my Harlem Renaissance class, and one was for my sign language class. I've never been to a Black doctor, or a Black dentist. I've never been pulled over by a Black police officer. What I'm trying to explain is that, in 31 years, I've seen three Black people in a position of authority.".

While the theme of racial discrimination is somewhat outside the scope of this blog, July is National Minority Mental Health Month and I think, more than ever, that it's crucial to talk about it. Racial attacks and protests have become routine on media vehicles. Being a white, green-eyed woman has always put me in a rather privileged condition and I can honestly say I never experienced racism first hand in America despite my Latino background. Having the letters "MD" after my name certainly helped. 

But, in my profession, I get to feel the pain of people who didn't have the same "luck" to receive fair, equal treatment; who didn't get to have the benefit of the doubt; who have to teach their children to protect themselves from the very ones who were supposed to protect them; who were denied opportunities simply because of the color of their skin. Day after day, I see the tears, struggles and challenges of those black women with mental illness-- a triple minority of an unjust society. 

"But what does one's complexion have to do with mental health?", you may ask.
Racial discrimination is closely related to trauma, and can even cause Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).






It is, indeed, one of the greatest misconceptions about PTSD, that it’s limited to wars and combat

zones or to a life-threatening event.  The reality is that one can have PTSD simply from witnessing a 

traumatic event of any nature or even if a loved one has suffered a traumatic event. (A 2014 

study  from the University of Miami showed that almost 50% of women had PTSD 

symptoms after Hurricane Katrina, for example).

The DSM- 5 even broadened the definition to include a person who learns about a traumatic event 

that happened to a close family member or a close friend, and also stress due to a prolonged 

exposure to an aversive situation.


Well, racism itself may be a traumatic experience!

Watching repeated acts of violence is a source of stress and trauma in Black people, particularly


black women. Research has shown that stress and trauma from racially motivated events create 

reactions that can be identical to PTSD.

If I am African American and I see this pattern on television I may identify myself with the entire 

situation. But trauma extends well beyond what we see on cable news and social media. It is an 

everyday challenge that people face with institutionalized racism leading to what some mental health

professionals call RACE-BASED TRAUMA. Racism continues to be a daily part of American

culture and to have an overwhelming impact on the oppressed.

 In the case of racial discrimination, we’re not talking about an issue that’s been around for

years or decades, but centuries. It’s people who were kidnapped and thrown in the bowels of slave 

ships and submitted to forced labor and torture. Later on, that was translated into exclusion from

educational, social and health resources causing disparities that are linked to mental health. 

It's important to have that in mind in order to understand one's perceptions and society's 

(mis)perceptions.


Victims can become distressed by things that are not typically worrisome to white people, for

example. "Microaggressions, or routine slights, can trigger stress reactions: it’s the black man 

followed by a security guard at the department store or the white woman clutching her purse when a 

black man enters the elevator", says Dr. Carl Bell, from the University of Illinois at Chicago.


What is PTSD?

It’s a severe and chronic condition that may occur in the aftermath of a traumatic event.

Symptoms usually develop within the first 3 months after the trauma and the diagnosis is made

if symptoms persist for over a month. Women are more affected than men.

Symptoms include depression, anxiety, flashbacks, fear, intrusive thoughts about the traumatic event, recurrent nightmares (leading to sleep difficulties), anger, apathy, inability to get pleasure, impaired concentration. It may also cause hypervigilance, hyperarousal and an exaggerated startle response (certain sounds or smells make the person relive the trauma) as well as avoidance behaviors leading to social isolation-- the person becomes more seclusive and uninterested, fears getting out of the house, or may change the route they normally take to avoid walking by a police officer or the street corner etc.

PTSD may have short-term or long-term impact. How long? The answer may be shocking:

Studies suggest that trauma is intergenerational and inherited, with memories passed along

through the DNA! That is shown, for example, in several interesting studies with families of

Holocaust survivors, or more recent studies with victims of the 9/11 attacks, that showed that

pregnant women who experienced the bombings passed on biological signs to their babies.

There is another study from Columbia University that revealed that one-third of NYC’s school

children suffered mental health disorders following the WTC attacks.

We must ensure black women have the ability and the right to raise their children in a healthy

environment. It is a matter of Reproductive Justice.



 African-Americans are 20 % more likely to report serious psychological distress than adult whites; 

they are also more likely to have feelings of sadness, hopelessness, worthlessness and more likely to 

attempt suicide (8% vs 6%).

The National Survey of American Life found that AA have a prevalence of PTSD around 9% (vs

6% for Non-Hispanic Whites). In certain populations, this number can get much higher. Inner city

studies in high crime zones of Detroit and Baltimore show something like 30%, which is

comparable to war zones in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.

AA usually have more serious traumatic events and are more likely to experience child abuse,

sexual trauma, and to witness domestic violence. An Emory study showed that almost 90% AA 

living in impoverished urban areas reported some form of trauma.

A UMichigan study from 2011 with 1600 women (~half AA) showed that the prevalence of PTSD

was 4 times higher among AA, but they were also less likely to get treatment. They also noted

the correlation of PTSD and pregnancy complications, including preterm birth (due to increased

cortisol levels causing placental abnormalities).

 AA are under-represented in outpatient settings but over-represented in inpatient treatment.

They are also over-represented in jails: AA and Hispanics comprise 30% of the US population but

account for almost 60% of the prison population. They’re also 14% of drug users but 37% of

drug arrests.

Police are also at an increased risk for violent behaviors as a consequence of stress. The uncertainty 

about whether they’ll come home alive to their families at the end of their shifts and the pressure 

from being at the front lines may cause depression, and anxiety, and burnout. Stigma is particularly 

significant in this population and a lot of them won’t disclose their feelings and struggles with fears 

of being perceived as weak, or even of losing their jobs.

As a consequence, lot of them will use alcohol or drugs to self-medicate their symptoms, making the

 symptoms much worse and more difficult to treat and contributing to poor judgement and 

inappropriate defenses.

This attitude is thankfully starting to change but the process is really slow: There’s still something 

between 120-140 documented suicides per year among police officers and a very high prevalence of 

PTSD (1 in 8).



What can be done?

We need to understand this phenomenon as a  Public Health Crisis: there are still a lot of underserved 

areas and significant lack of resources to treat mental illness. AA physicians are 5 times more likely 

to treat AA patients but the vast majority of mental health professionals are white. 

Some people have difficulty expressing their feelings and experiences thinking they won’t be fully 

understood.  It’s important to make mental health professionals aware and

teach them how to address this problem and how to actively screen specifically for racial-based

trauma when assessing the trauma or abuse history.

Despite the growing evidence that PTSD is related to racial discrimination, little is being done to

address this problem. Hospital trauma centers are well-equipped to treat the physical injuries

from the trauma, but not its emotional and psychological components.


 We have a number of evidence-based interventions and treatment models for trauma but not

specifically for racial trauma so more studies should be done and more attention should be paid

to this matter.

 Also it’s important to develop interventions to decrease violent crime and increase access to

mental health treatment and to work on decreasing the stigma that surrounds mental illness.

Below is a panel that aired last week on the morning news about the theme of Race, Trauma and Urban Violence:

8 comments:

  1. How i got a cure for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

    I actually promised myself that i will do this because i never in life thought i would be cured of PCOS because my gynecologist told me there was no cure and because of this i could not take in and get pregnant. I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) for 7 years and this was a big pain to me and my husband due to the downcast we felt for not having a child. I experienced irregular periods or no periods at all sometimes, heavy periods, i gained weight (fat). I seeked a cure from one doctor to the other used androgen, clomiphene, metformin and even traveled to different states to see other doctors to no avail. My husband got to know about Dr. ALeta via a testimony he read on the internet on how a woman got a cure and he contacted her with the contact she left. I got the herbal medication and used it for the speculated 3 months that was all i have a son who is just 8 months old. Do not give up just contact her on (aletedwin@gmail.com) on how to get the herbal medication. Thanks and i wish you get cured soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to say a big thanks to Doctor Andre Armstead of USA for helping me cure me of my Brain disease. Brothers and sisters, Nath Luth is my name and I live in Texas USA. Few years ago I had a car accident and my brain was affected I was rushed to the hospital the doctor did his check and said I don’t have any internal injury in my brain but just that I was emotionally fragmented and for that reason I lost memory of what happened. But sometimes I sleep at night and I see in dream how I got the accident. But when dawn if am asked how it happened, I can’t say it. It continued like that and I found myself very forgetful. Doctor gave me medicines like Diuretics, Anti-seizure drugs, Coma-inducing drugs, to some extents the drugs helped but later on it stop helping me and as a result of this, I was fully diagnosed of schizophrenia (Brain Disease). Doctor said my problem was same with a variety of brain disease like salience syndrome, Psychosis, susceptibility syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome, Lemierre syndrome, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome, vascular dementia, CJD, mad cow disease, PTSD, encephalitis, panic disorder, OCD, ADD and a lot more. So i and my family became very afraid because doctor said I would die with it. My Immediate younger brother is an ICT officer he is always on the internet. So he came home and said he read about a herbal doctor called Doctor Andre Armstead who have used his herbal medicine to cure so many people of various diseases. So he copied out the contact details of the Dr and he contacted him. He emailed him, and explained to him what I was passing through but Dr Andre promised him that he will cure me of my brain disease and I will be totally cured for life. So he made the arrangement with Dr Andre, and he prepared the herbs from Washington and shipped it to us in Texas. So I followed his instructions on how to take it and behold it worked for me just like a magic, and totally cured me of my long suffered brain disease, and today I am totally cured of my brain disease. Please if you are out there suffering from any kind of brain disease, or you know someone suffering from it, I urge you to contact Dr Andre immediately and get your cure. His contact details are (doctorandreaarmstead@gmail.com) and his phone number is +1 (617) 663-8926, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete


  3. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Cancer healing
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    Diabetes
    Arthritis
    sicklecell
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his state based number text him here if you're in the US: 760-935-3804 if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com i wish you best of luck and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy because today i am a living testimony. i want all here to know how i was cured of my CJD. i was diagnosed of CJD some months back. And my health begins to deteriorate gradually. It got to the extent that the symptoms was now all over my body. i have spent thousands of $$ in search for a cure but my doctor keep telling me no cure. i almost gave up. But on a very faithful day as my daughter was browsing on the internet, she saw someone who testified of how a herbal doctor by the name Doctor Ehidiamen cured him of his disease with the use of herbs. So she tried to get in contact with this doctor, and after she explain to him, he assured her that he can cure me of my CJD. He gave me the steps to follow, i followed it and he prepared the herbs and send it to me in USA. i took the mixture according to his prescription and behold it worked perfectly for me. Today i am happy to say i totally cured of my CJD and my family is happy together again. Please i want you all suffering from CJD, or other brain related problem to also get cured just as i was cured. for this reason i want you all to contact the herbal doctor Ehidiamen. His email is email is: doctorehidiamen@gmail.com and his phone number is +2348146942481. Just explain to him what you are passing through and get his counsel and treatment. Thanks to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can I explain this to the world that there is a man who can cure HERPES, I was diagnosed for the past 1 year I have being into HERPES since 1 year, so I decide to look for help in the internet then I found a post write about this great man called DR. Yakubu , people say good thing about him that this man have cured, a lot of people in the internet, him has power's to cure HSV1 AND HSV2 I don’t believe that there is a cure for Herpes Simplex Virus because though there is no cure for herpes that what I have in mind HERPES had no cure well , my HERPES is negative through the using of herbal cured of DR yakubu , I contacted this man for help because of what i see in the internet. if you need his cured just email him now on dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com , thank you DR. i will never stop shearing you testimony DR. Yakubu . him Can as well CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-1, HIV/AIDS, 2, Diseases of the hear 3, Malignant tumors 4. Cardiovascular diseases 5. Diabetes mellifluous 6.Influenza and pneumonia 7.Alzheimer's disease 8. hsv1 - hsv2. If you need LOVE SPELL. E.T.C contact him dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com or you whatsapp him on +2348057353647...
    Dr.yakubu 하나님은 내 삶을 회복시켜 주신 것에 대한 축복을 계속할 것입니다. 나는 사람들에게 증거를 계속 나눌 것입니다.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of a truth there is no known pharmaceutical cure for Diabetes, but the good news is 'Diabetes is cured naturally by herbal medicine and with the right herbal proportion.
    Doctors told my husband no cure, and still advised him not to research that he won't succeed and never offer him a solution. Thanks to the media and internet where I found Dr Utu @ drutuherbalcure@gmail.com who is an African Roots and Herbal practitioner. I saw testimonials and we decided to give it a trial and thank God today my husband is Diabetes-free and he had said bye to pharmaceutical drugs for good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to use this means to let the world know that all hope is not lost Getting pregnant after having tubes clamped and burned, I know IVF and Reversal could help but the cost is way too high, i couldn't afford it either and i so desire to add another baby to my family been trying for 5 years, not until i came across Priest Babaka, who cast a pregnancy/Fertility spell for me and i use his herbal remedy/medication and i got pregnant. l hope that women out there who are going through the same fears and worries l went through in GETTING PREGNANT , will find your contact as i drop it here on this site, and solution will come to them as they contact you. Thank you and God bless you to reach him email via: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am here to appreciate Dr Ogudugu for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 3 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one .morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr Ogudugu curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr Ogudugu on his email: greatogudugu@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don’t you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; greatogudugu@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348063739701 !!

    ReplyDelete